Friday, August 20, 2010

Freedom

If Jesus died to break the chains and give us freedom why do we continue to allow ourselves to live in bondage? Just as Romans 6:17-19 says, "Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living. Because of the weakness of your human nature, I am using the illustration of slavery to help you understand all this. Previously you let yourself be slaves to impurity and lawlessness, which led ever deeper into sin. Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy." Now I know this and believe it, but I have been struggling with living it. 

We live in a world, in a community that expects the best in every area of your life, no matter the cost. Girls we live in a world that bombards us with thin, sexy, beautiful, airbrushed women in magazines, movies, music videos, and advertisements. I am one admittedly that has bought into this, and yet with every step I take closer to the ideal woman in America, the farther I walk from God and holiness. 

Vanity is often never addressed when in all reality we struggle with it. I mean how often do I catch myself looking and lingering in the mirror only to continually tear down myself and come out very unsatisfied. This all leading to more hours in the gym and less calories in my day. 

Then there I was, broken, lonely, tired, and hungry! Then there was God, "You are fearfully and wonderfully made!" You are beautiful more than you know, no matter what your pants size, no matter what your body shape, no matter your fat percentage, you are gorgeous and even more beautiful on the inside. Cliche, yes I know, but the truth of the matter is, I will never be good enough in the world's eyes, and I am ok with that.
 I wish more girls heard how beautiful they were, imagine the impact this would have on a girls life if they heard that more from their father and mother than they ever did from their first boyfriend.

I don't want to live any longer in these chains, Jesus already won, why live in the loss. I am a slave to righteousness, running after the things that matter most, Jesus, and storing up my treasures in heaven! 

No comments:

Post a Comment